What It Means to be a Member of Second Baptist Church of Doylestown
Why become a member? The difference between "attenders" and "members" can be summed up in one word: commitment. A commitment to membership shows five things about me:
1. It identifies me as a genuine believer.
"So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow-citizens with the saints, and are of God's household." Ephesians 2:19
2. It provides me a spiritual family to experience the giving and receiving of love.
"You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind." Matthew 22:37
3. It gives me a place to discover and use my gifts in ministry.
"But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good." 1 Corinthians 12:7, 12:4-25
4. It places me under the spiritual protection of Godly leaders.
"Obey your leaders, and submit to them, for they keep watch over your souls, as those who will give an account." Hebrews 13:17
5. It gives me the accountability I need to grow.
"Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." Proverbs 27:17
A Membership Covenant
A. I will protect the unity of my church
· by acting in love toward other members
· by refusing to gossip
· by following the leaders
"Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, that it may give grace to those who hear." Ephesians 4:29
B. I will share the responsibility of my church
· by praying for its growth
· by inviting the unchurched to attend
· by warmly welcoming those who visit
"We give thanks to God always for all of you, making mention of you in our prayers." Thessalonians 1:2
"Wherefore, accept one another, just as Christ also accepted us to the glory of God." Romans 15:7
C. I will serve the ministry of my church
· by discovering my gifts and talents
· by being equipped to serve by my leaders
· by developing a servant's heart
"As each one has received a special gift, employ it in serving one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God." 1 Peter 4:10
"And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ." Ephesians 4:10-11
"Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind let each of you regard one another as more important than himself: do not merely loot out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others." Philippians 2:3-4
D. I will support the testimony of my church
· by attending faithfully
· by living a godly life
· by giving regularly
"not forsaking our assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more, as you see the day drawing near." Hebrews 10:25
"Only conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ..." Philippians 1:27
"Thus all the tithe of the land, of the seed of the land or of the fruit of the tree, is the Lord's; it is holy to the Lord." Leviticus 27:30
So What Is Next?
At Second Baptist Church of Doylestown, it is our desire to see you grow in your walk with the Lord. In order to help you in your spiritual growth, we are providing several opportunities for you to grow. We encourage every member to do two things:
First: Join Bible Study: The Bible study class will provide you with the means to become a productive member of this body of believers.
The Bible study class provides:
· A focused Bible study with means of application in your daily life
· Fellowship with other Christians to help you grow in your walk with the Lord
· An opportunity for ministry service
Second: Study your Bible to understand your purpose as a disciple of Christ.
· The habit of a daily quiet time with God
· The habit of weekly study time of God
· Spiritual Gifts: what they are and what yours are
Our desire at Second Baptist Church of Doylestown is to see you grow into the person that God wants you to become. One that is a picture of Jesus in today's world.